Horizon Power has once again partnered with Kidsafe WA to promote electrical safety in regional communities across Western Australia!
Electricity is an essential part of our lives, though as an everyday product we can get complacent when it comes to safety. Over the last five years, there were 72 presentations to Princess Margaret Hospital Emergency Department for electrical injuries, many of which can be prevented. Common causes of electrical injury can include damaged or worn electrical cords, objects being inserted into power points, faulty appliances or light switches and contact between electrical appliances and water.
The following tips will help to keep you and your family safe when using electrical equipment:
- Turn off appliances that are not in use and before removing its plug from a power point.
- Only use one double adaptor per power point.
- Check appliances regularly and stop using an appliance immediately if it becomes faulty.
- Never insert metal objects into an appliance or power point. Use safety covers to prevent or discourage children from doing this.
- Never leave electrical appliances unattended around children.
- Never touch an electrical appliance if you are wet or near water.
- Take care not to stretch or damage electrical cords and always hold the plug, not the cord to remove it from a power point.
- Ensure your home has a residual current device (RCD) installed.
- Use a licensed electrical contractor for renovations and home maintenance.
- Hire a professional tree contractor to trim trees that are too close to power lines.
For more information on how to keep your children safe around electricity visit:
https://horizonpower.com.au/our-community/stay-safe-around-electricity/ OR www.kidsafewa.com.au/fact-sheets-at-home to see Kidsafe WA’s Electrical Safety Fact Sheet.